Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Generation Y - You've got to be kidding me!

A recent management-issues article claims "Generation Y still wants it all". Here's quick list of Gen-Y demands that many managers will have to deal with even in these difficult times:
  • less than a 40 hour work week
  • flexible work hours
  • concerned they would not be able to keep up with interests outside of work
  • concerned they would be overworked by their employers
  • 33% want to 'travel' on the job but less than 10% want to relocate
Hey Gen-Y! Get a clue! It's called work for a reason - you're expected to work your A$$ off. If you're concerned about your social life try being 'social' w/o a dollar in your pocket! It doesn't work so well does it? Concerned you'll be 'overworked'? Get used to it!

Here's my suggestions to Gen-Y:
  • Be thankful you have a job
  • Work your a$$ off
  • Keep your mouth shut
  • Keep your eyes open
  • Help those in the cubicles around you
  • Show up early
  • Leave late
We IT veterans are tired of picking up the pieces left behind by you Gen-Y flunkies! Get a clue! You're young, inexperienced and now you want your boss to cut you some slack because your social life is interfering w/ your work assignments? Not on my watch!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a post from a bitter Gen Xer who had to pay his dues to get where he's currently at and is jealous that Gen Yers can just enter the workplace, ask for these things and get them without putting in the time.

Sorry dude--times are changing, deal with it.

kengell said...

Jennifer,

Thanks for the compliments!

I'm actually a Baby Boomer (a bit older than the 'bitter Gen-Xer').

I am thankful I "paid my dues".

I am not the least bit jealous.

I am, however, tired of the waltzing Gen-Y group who think we 'owe' them. For what? Your good looks? Get over yourself. Your intellect? Oh please! Your ability to under achieve and under perform the Gen-X and boomers? Not a chance!

I only ask of Gen-Y what I ask of Gen-X, the 'boomers and myself. Show up early, leave late, work hard, listen more than talk, offer to help w/o being asked.

Sorry dudette -- times are definitely changing, but a good solid work ethic never goes out of style! Deal w/ it.

Unknown said...

I look forward to seeing your attitude adjustment once all the Boomers are out of the workplace and Gen Y has totally taken over and changed things, making work-life balance more important than "showing up early and leaving late."

And as far as working hard and listening more than talking--take a look around you. Many of the largest, most sucessful companies around (Napster, Facebook) were started by Gen Yers who took initiative to pursue something they love and didn't listen to anyone who told them they needed to "pay dues to get to the top."

I am an EXTREMELY hardworking Gen Yer, but I haven't yet had to work more than 40 hours a week to get my job done.

I have a very good work ethic, yet I still manage to work a full-time job, freelance and fiction write on the side, volunteer in my community and have a personal life. How ever do I do it?!

It's attitudes like yours that keep the workplace from being the innovative, productive, fun place that it should be.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kengell said...

threeelv05,

I agree with you! I think 'boomers and Gen-Xers sole responsibility at the office is to crush creativity, increase monotony and in general create a bleak work environment.

As I am at the end of the 'boomer era and the beginning of the Gen-X group, I'll be around the office for decades to come, so my "attitude adjustment" may have to wait.

I somehow fail to understand how working hard, showing up early and working late stifles creativity, productivity and the general office frivolities as you claim.

Yes, there are some really cool, creative and awesome Gen-Yers, Gen-Xers and heaven forbid 'boomers who have changed the face of this planet. But let's face reality. Odds are that neither you nor I will come anywhere close to the rarefied air of a Larry Page, Sergey Brin or a Shawn Fanning. In fact, I bet that neither you nor I will be anything other than a footnote in the history of the WWW, but good luck trying.

Fredrik said...

kengell: You are absolutely right about the attitude of the Y-gen. They are so "curled" by their parents (comparisons to the sport of curling) and spoiled. At least, that's my opinion. One we almost employed asked for the same salary that we have! And she was just 18 and had no experience. It was the first job she looked for, LOL!
If she got the job?
NOOOOOO...